WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE THE MOST OF MY APPOINTMENT?
As with any meeting, there are things that you can do as we work together to help you. These include:
- Booking a separate appointment for each major concern. Other issues may be discussed, but focusing on one main issue will ensure best care and allow us to see you and your fellow patients in a timely manner.
- Let the receptionist know if you need to be seen urgently. We always keep a number of appointment times open for emergencies, so let us know if you need to access this service.
- Letting us know to book time for any family or friends who need to be seen around the same time as your visit.
- Calling us right away if you are unable to make your appointment for any reason
- Visiting only one clinic. Our doctors provide shared care and even if your usual primary doctor is not available you will get to see someone here that knows you, can review your file with you, and provide continuous care. Any additions or changes will stay in your chart, and your usual doctor will remain up to date on how you are doing. Going to another clinic breaks the continuity of care and information and may lead to unnecessary tests or interventions. Although some clinics use electronic medical records, clinics usually do not communicate with one another, so the best way to make sure that your information is current and consistent is to be seen at the same clinic as much as possible. If you do need to see another clinic, please have them send a copy of their notes and any tests that they order.
ARE THERE ANY SERVICES THAT MSP DOES NOT PAY FOR?
The Medical Services Plan (MSP) covers many services, but not all. A complete list is available at the reception desk. In particular, MSP does not cover and a fee may be billed for:
- Filling out forms
- Writing letters
- Insurance reports
- Driver’s medical examinations and forms
- Employment examinations and forms
- Forms for camp or school
- Sick notes
- Transfer of patient records
WILL YOU CALL ME WITH RESULTS?
All patients are expected to come back to follow-up on test results. At the end of your visit, speak to your doctor about the appropriate time to come back. Please note that you may be able to arrange with the lab to have access to some of your lab results. If the results don’t make sense to you, please make an appointment and discuss the results with your doctor.
We receive hundreds of test results daily. For privacy reasons and logistical reasons we cannot provide test results over the phone nor inform you if test results have arrived.
CAN I GET MY PRESCRIPTIONS OVER THE PHONE?
We prescribe medications for the duration of time required before reassessment. If your prescription is running out then this is a reminder to come in to reassess how you are doing, and what, if any, changes we need to make. We are sometimes able to decrease or even stop medications, and are happy to discuss this with you when we see you.